Maybe he is taking a page from the Barack Obama campaign playbook, which incessantly buffets folks with contacts through email.
But Gov. Brian Sandoval, moments after telling Nevadans the State of the State is sunny, had his campaign send out a blast to his list.
I'm not sure who he expects to give him a "tough, competitive campaign" (Does he know something we don't?). But he clearly wants to build a "sophisticated, grassroots effort" as others have done (right, Mr. President?), but as so few Republicans, especially in Nevada, have done.
Here's what my sources tell me:
-----About $6.5 billion budget, slight increase
---Emphasis on job growth late last year, message that things turning around
----Push for online poker with other states (I knew that GCB bill was his) -- wants bill in first month
----$135 million in what he will call "new investment" in K-12: Expansion of all-day K, first into at-risk schools, maybe more later, but also will push school choice, kids reading by third grade, invest in Teach for America, another pilot program (Jobs for America's Graduates), ELL investment
I wonder how Democrats here feel about the party's national governors' association sending out a "Real State of Sandoval's State" missive this morning that begins:
Gov. Brian Sandoval was a fundraising machine in December, garnering more than $200,000 -- a third of what he raised all year.
On New Year's Eve alone, Sandoval took in $93,000 of his annual haul of $650,000, with mining more than a third of that, led by Barrick's $10,000 contribution (another subsidiary already had given $5,000). No word if the miners paid for New Year's Eve champagne, too.... (Gaming gave about half of what mining did last month.)
In what can only be called one of the more hypocritical acts in the history of Nevada journalism, the same folks who once unleashed a rabid cur named Righthaven on the world now are frothing again about their precious content being pilfered.
Remember that NRA event for legislators I told you about? Well, ProgressNow Nevada wants the Gang of 63 to boycott the event and sent a letter Monday to lawmakers asking them not to go.
The event is this Saturday, and I wonder what is more dangerous: Going or not going. The letter is below.
FROM: Brian Fadie, Executive Director, ProgressNow Nevada
That's how ralstonreports.com readers answered the latest poll:
Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid appeared on Vegas PBS' "Nevada Week in Review" on Friday evening and said more than a few interesting things during the live broadcast.
Attorney of record: Gov. Brian Sandoval
Carson City, NV
Jon Ralston, on behalf of the people of the great state of Nevada,
The Fix, a supposedly knowledgeable political reporting enterprise
Case No.: 001
Plaintiff Jon Ralston brings forth the following causes of action and alleges the following:
Courtesy of the Las Vegas Convention and Visitors Authority, Darrin Bush, Gov. Brian Sandoval at CES: